Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A little about me, and the rules.

So this is the starting point, eh?

One of the first rules they teach you in writing is not to begin with a cliche. Were a better man, I wouldn't. The first thing that comes to mind is, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Instead I'd like to propose this: "A journey of 52 beers begins with a single sip." Starting tomorrow, January 7th in the year of our Lord 2010, I will begin a personal trip. This blog is here to record in writing - and on video - as I explore the world of Beer... Practically for the first time!

A lot of you know how it goes. Unless you went to "one of those colleges" a lot of your friends might turn down a beer saying something like "No thanks, that stuff tastes like piss!" You and I both know it takes some getting used to, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm new to this. I've been drinking for years, but I was always the friend making the pee jokes about the fizzy yellow stuff in my friends' cups. In fact, until probably fifteen months ago, I didn't care for it at all, and it didn't even really catch hold of my taste buds until last year.

A little background - I grew up in Saint Louis. Yeah Saint Louis, Missouri, home to Budweiser the King of Beers. You can't sneeze without accidentally banging your head on an eagle-shaped neon sign, or without spilling someone's 'Light. I never liked the stuff, actually. I was pretty happy to agree with friends turning the stuff down for the taste alone. Give me a bourbon, or something mixed and I was happy. Not to be a snob, but that's because I didn't know what beer was.

It started backwards for me. A Guinness at a friends' wedding because that's what was available, and I worked my way up the color chain. Amber Bock, Dos Equis, and finally one day I harangued some friends in to helping me move furniture in to my new house on the promise of pizza and beer. I was taking suggestions and a friend took me aside and said "No, look, I'll cover the drink. I know just the stuff." He came back with a twelve pack of Schafly's Hefeweizen. It was unfiltered, a beautiful yellow colored and delicious. It was my introduction to craft beers.

I'm pretty brand loyal, and I've had a lot of their stuff over the year as I've expanded my palate, but I have my groove I've fallen in to. My drinking experience these days is limited. Rolling Rock (don't pelt me with veggies yet!) on a hot summer day or a Pale Ale in the cold.
That's where this blog comes in - and your participation if you'll help!

Each week for the next twelve months (that's 52.177457 weeks) I'll drink one new beer - something I've never tasted before for the witness of God and whoever reads this thing anyway. I'll post a short review, and maybe give a back story to the brew if it's a good one. And I promise you right here and now that I will drink the whole damn thing whether I like it or not. This is where the men are going to be separated from the rice-brewing-aluminum-bottled mice.

If you have any suggestions for beer - any at all - feel free to email me at brewyear@gmail.com. I'll take all suggestions into consideration as long as they're alcoholic beverages containing the basics: Grain, hops, yeast, and water.

Thanks for listening and cheers!

6 comments:

  1. You'll even drink the last little swig of warmness and backwash? That's gross, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Kspaz and I approve this blog.

    This is a good idea man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited; this blog is going to rock. If you need any help with your journey, we're good for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you're requiring all brews to have hops in them as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly I said that to weed out anyone who started emailing suggestions to "DRINK SMIRNOFF YEAAAAAAHHH!"

    ReplyDelete